Monday, December 13, 2010

It's On!

The 50 Book Challenge, that is. Starting today I'm challenging myself to read 50 books in the next year. It's pretty exciting. I've met this challenge in the past, but this year I'll be among friends and fellow readers, all aiming for the same goal. The New Bedford Free Public Library is presenting the challenge as a reading program for adults. Why should kids have all the fun?

If reading 50 books in a year sounds impossible, think of it this way. It averages one book a week, with time to spare. Since it's the holiday season, I decided to kick off the challenge by reading Christmas Mourning by Margaret Maron. It's part of a mystery series set in a fictional North Carolina county, featuring Judge Deborah Knott and her extended family. Murder might not quite fit into the holiday spirit, but Maron is a good writer and the book, so far, is fun. And that's what this challenge is about. I love to read, and I plan to enjoy every page of the next 50 or so volumes.

I think you should, too. So shut off the TV and put down the remote (unless you're watching the Celtics or the Patriots). What better thing to do on a cold winter night than snuggle up with a good book and some chocolate? Sounds good to me. In fact, I think I'll go do so, right now!

For more information on the 50 Book Challenge, visit the New Bedford Free Public Library's website at www.newbedford-ma.gov/library.

No comments:

Post a Comment