Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Showdown at the Library

How many books do you read in a year? How about 6 months?

At some point at the end of 2008, my co-worker and I got to wondering. Wondering led to comparing. Comparing led to challenging. I’m not even sure how it happened, though I think she might have smacked me in the face with a leather glove at some point. My memory is a little hazy.

A year seemed too long, so we decided to see who could read the most books in 6 months – from January 1 to June 30 2009.

The rules are few. Read a book. Keep track. We’re on the honor system. We also assume that the books we are reading have a decent amount of pages – at least 100. Though since we never formally agreed on that point, 11:30 p.m. on June 30 might find me reading all the Dr. Seuss books I can get my hands on.

I have no idea how many she has read so far, though I see the books that she checks out, takes home, then brings back and I get a little worried. But maybe she’s just trying to psych me out.

What’s riding on this? Cake for her if she wins, pizza for me if I win. Not to mention bragging rights.

Challenge yourself at the 50 Book Challenge (http://community.livejournal.com/50bookchallenge/) or just keep track in a notebook or a spreadsheet. You might surprise yourself. (And perhaps you too can reward yourself with a treat!)

The deadline for our little competition is fast approaching - stay tuned. I’m looking forward to the pizza! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment